Language Selection

English French German Italian Portuguese Spanish

Recent comments

• Today in Techrights   1 day 6 hours ago

Better image, yes. But the actions are the same, just more closely guarded/veiled. I wrote about a dozen articles to show exactly that. They are still blackmailing politicians, bribing, and extorting companies using patents, to name just few recent examples.

• Today in Techrights   1 day 13 hours ago

About that, is it any less now that Ballmer is out of the picture?
    The new guy is trying to build a better image for the company.

• Today in Techrights   2 days 1 hour ago

I agree with you about Intel, IBM and could also add several others. I do write about them as well (see the Wiki or search the site to see hundreds of articles about these two alone). Microsoft just attacks GNU/Linux more often, hence more articles about Microsoft.

• Today in Techrights   2 days 8 hours ago

I do not see microsoft as that much of a threat in any way; if anything, they have resigned themselves to a world where windows is less dominant and they are playing along better with others than they have ever been.

OTOH, I want to bring to attention the politics that are played in the 'open source' world -

1) IBM enlisted the support and mind share of OSS zealots (not just red hat spreading FUD on sun) to bad mouth Sun which was actually far more friendly toward open source and open standards and even contributed much more heavily than IBM (open office alone exceed anything IBM has done for open source). After bringing Sun down, IBM themselves have become completely irrelevant not just to OSS but to the industry in general.

2) Intel has been doing the same and spreading FUD and lies about their competition ( AMD and ARM). Unfortunately, the same people are biting into that as well. Intel has done more harm to the marketplace than microsoft has ( or is doing) and yet, I see the community not say a word but meekly surrender to intel's FUD and accept it as the truth. Intel's contribution to OSS is not only overrated but highly toxic. I know many of their developers contribute to xorg but I rest my case.

• Can LibreOffice successfully compete with Microsoft Office?   4 days 1 hour ago

Writer has a lot of features, but some people complain that Calc and Presenter are lacking (in some areas of functionality). I don't know if that's true because I rarely use Office suites (once a month at most).

• Can LibreOffice successfully compete with Microsoft Office?   4 days 3 hours ago

But of course. Was that meant to be a rhetorical question? LO/OO does everything that the majority of office site users need, without tying them to a specific vendor. At my former employer where ms office was the standard, I ran Linux on the desktop, and used OO for years, and nobody ever seemed to notice anything amiss in my weekly reports.

• Kubuntu 15.10 Alpha 1 Released with KDE Plasma 5.3 and KDE Apps 15.04.1 - Gallery   1 week 14 hours ago

I'm using the latest 15.04 (since release) with backported parts so as to have the very latest of KDE/Plasma. Last night I finally found a way to restore functionality I had been missing since moving to Plasma 5.

Plasma 5 is not, in my assessment, ready for adoption yet. There is still much polishing work to be done. I'm not sure why Kubuntu adopted it so quickly, as if the target audience is developers who can contribute bug reports, widgets, etc.

• Kubuntu 15.10 Alpha 1 Released with KDE Plasma 5.3 and KDE Apps 15.04.1 - Gallery   1 week 22 hours ago

Posting from kubuntu 15.10 alpha as we speak, so to speak, and it looks good but obviously there will be lots of change before October. I'm optimistic that it will go farily smoothly, as the kubuntu devs have been doing a good job. In the switch to systemd during the 15.04 testing cycle, there was 1 glitch, which was easily fixable (had to re-enable sddm), but for the past several kubuntu releases, I've installed the alpha, and the system has remained bootable and usable through all the updates along the way to the final release.

• GNOME's Evince Document Viewer Will Support Highlight Annotations in GNOME 3.18   1 week 1 day ago

It took me a while to find his name.

• Open source: Docker’s secret sauce | #DockerCon   1 week 1 day ago

While I can appreciate the attention Docker has drawn to Linux containers. I can't see any particularly compelling technical case for their approach. There have been far more capable, mature enterprise class Linux container solutions for some years now (vz, virtuozzo) though I'll admit that Docker does fill a niche. I think that players like Flockport and lxc enhancements like lxd will gather momentum in the months ahead and begin to claim some of Docker's mind share as the limitations of Docker's approach begin to dawn on the marketplace.

• GNOME's Evince Document Viewer Will Support Highlight Annotations in GNOME 3.18   1 week 2 days ago

Oh Sad That is bad news.

I think the principal developer (or one of them) recently died.

• GNOME's Evince Document Viewer Will Support Highlight Annotations in GNOME 3.18   1 week 3 days ago

Now they just need to add epub support Smile

• Datawise.io simplifies networking for Linux containers   1 week 3 days ago
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

I have never (yet) seen anyone using containers. VMs work well enough for many enterprises and even they are somewhat of an overkill, except on servers that are very beefy and are shared among different clients.

It's true that in some circles container technology is not well known. But once people realize the benefits, they love them. In the common case of running Linux environments, there is just no need for all the overhead of a hypervisor, the emulation of hardware, and the various individual OSes each running their own kernel and spending cycles managing this imaginary hardware. In contrast, when you deploy containers, there is a single kernel running on the machine, no hardware emulation and thus no imaginary hardware to manage. With containers you get essentially bare metal performance, and much greater server density. Maybe containers aren't the magic bullet for every scenario, but they are certainly right for many use cases.

• Datawise.io simplifies networking for Linux containers   1 week 4 days ago

• Datawise.io simplifies networking for Linux containers   1 week 4 days ago

Meh. Docker is riding a huge wave of hype. Other tech, like openvz, is miles ahead. Even when I started using vz in 2008, it was mature, and able to do things like live migration of a running server to a different physical host, with no outage. We hosted full on, multi-purpose linux servers in openvz containers. In contrast, Docker is just this dinky little app container paradigm. It has it's place, I suppose, but it is not the be all and end all of virtualization, falling far short of realizing the awesome potential of containers. I trust Docker will just be one option of many. At least I certainly hope so.

• Linus Torvalds: Linux Kernel Would Be OK in a Couple of Months If I Die   2 weeks 1 day ago

Speaking of a personal concern, I am often worried about corporate influence in the Foundation (no middle finger, no exclusion of foes like Microsoft), which is a subject I often write about. Torvalds and Stallman are wiling to throw some punches sometimes, which I think helps protect the community from outside takeover.

PS - glad to see the comments working again after I swapped some messages with Mollom Support.

Some of the biggest strengths of the Linux kernel development are:
    1) The review system. A lot of what makes it to the mainline kernel is reviewed and tested before committing.
    2) It is backed by paid developers. That means people are actively fixing bugs and adding necessary features.

Pure volunteer projects, on the other hand, rely mostly on what a bunch of developers feel motivated to do which ends up in more half finished features than bug fixing.

A nice balance exists right now in the Linux kernel development. That is something that will hopefully still exist in the future after Linus leaves/retires/etc...

• SourceForge: The end can't come too soon   3 weeks 3 days ago
    • SourceForge Tries to Win Back Trust of Open-Source Developers

After drawing the ire of the open-source community over the past couple of weeks, SourceForge published a blog post today explaining how it will generate ad revenue going forward.

The online software repository landed itself in hot water after it was found to be bundling adware with free and open-source software downloads, most notably the Windows version of the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).

• Get your game on with SuperGamer-1   3 weeks 3 days ago

Students writing nursing personal statement assume a huge part in figuring out who gets an interview, and you can significantly enhance your chances by presenting an elegantly composed and motivating essay. Since the common students are worse journalists, they can't expect achievement in the event that they write their nursing personal statement independent from anyone else. In any case, when nursing students writing personal statement rely on upon personal statement writing administration, you can guarantee of getting premium quality personal statements that can make a decent impact on entrance advisory board.

• Latest in Kubuntu/Canonical Feud   4 weeks 3 days ago
  • Latest in Kubuntu/Canonical Feud   4 weeks 6 days ago
    • Kubuntu's Riddell Out for Not Playing Nice with Others

Seems a feud has been brewing behinds the scenes of two of the most popular distributions today. That feud, over Canonical's intellectual property policy, ended with the ouster of Kubuntu project leader Jonathan Riddell. There has been enough noise to prompt Canonical into posting a statement saying Riddell was removed for being disrespectful, becoming increasingly difficult to deal with, and for not assuming the best intentions from Canonical.

• Latest in Kubuntu/Canonical Feud   4 weeks 6 days ago
    • Ubuntu: Show Me the Money & Kubuntu Lead Ousted

The $143,000 question: Softpedia reported earlier this week that there’s a unaccounted-for $143,000 in donations to Ubuntu that the Ubuntu Community Council can’t seem to find. While this doesn’t seem to be a new story, if mailing list traffic is any indication, it is an issue that does pique the interest for — what do you call them again? Oh yeah — answers.

• Latest in Kubuntu/Canonical Feud   5 weeks 7 min ago
    • Ubuntu Community Council Reaffirms Its Decision Against Kubuntu's Leader

Earlier this week a huge fiasco began over the Ubuntu Community Council removing Jonathan Riddell from any leadership position relating to Ubuntu for one year. The Kubuntu Community Council came out in support of Jonathan as have many others from the community, but today the Ubuntu Community Council issued a lengthy statement where they re-affirm they will be sticking by their original decision.

• Community Council Statement: Jonathan Riddell

It is important that it is understood that we will not be reversing that decision.

• Latest in Kubuntu/Canonical Feud   5 weeks 20 min ago
    • Ubuntu Community Council Clarifies Its Position on Kubuntu's Jonathan Riddell Removal

A lot of information has been published in the past few days regarding the discussions between the Ubuntu Community Council and Kubuntu's Jonathan Riddell. In short, following some very long and tense conversations, Jonathan Riddell was asked to step down from this leadership role in the Kubuntu community, which he refused. This is not something that often happens in the community, so many eyes have been pointed towards these discussions.

More in Tux Machines