Language Selection

English French German Italian Portuguese Spanish

Recent comments

• Exton|OS Light Distro Brings Linux Kernel 4.0 and Openbox to Ubuntu 15.04   1 hour 4 min ago

I must admit I am not a big fan of Marvel films in general, but have to say that this, It did not degenerate into a speech about saving the rain forest (kudos of you get. My expectations were not high when I decided to watch this movie and I have to say

* Casting and Performances were really great by all especially Mark Wahlberg *, Even though the characters are very different that chemistry is there. Other IMDb reviewers and the metacritic critics are wrong once again, they make it The Apes werent evil, they were afraid of

• SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 4 Adds Support for IBM POWER8   1 week 2 days ago
  • Here is the video of Linus Torvalds riding a fighter jet   1 week 2 days ago
  • Here is the video of Linus Torvalds riding a fighter jet   1 week 2 days ago
  • GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 2 days ago

I'll let you know when I find something. Thank you.

• GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 2 days ago

I don't know of one, either, but if you hear of one, let me know. Konqueror is obviously not being modernised anymore.

• GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 3 days ago

Part of it is because Qt5 puts QML as a first class citizen instead of C++ for user interfaces. JS memory usage is difficult to keep track of.

Do you know any good file manager alternatives to dolphin preferably something that uses Qt5 or gtk3 (new versions of those toolkits)?
    Thank you.

• GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 3 days ago

Rianne is trying Unity these days. I'm just grumpy and sort of stuck with KDE/KF5 for now. I hope it'll get fixed. I tried pretty much all the alternatives over the years and tried about half a dozen last year alone. KDE3 was very good, KDE4 improved enough to catch up with it, Qt5 takes us backwards again.

• GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 3 days ago
    KF5

I know what you mean with regretting moving to kf5 so early...

There will be a kde applications 15.08 release next month along with kf5 5.13 but some important things such as dolphin are unlikely to get fully ported to KF5/Qt5 this year.

I really like KDE. It works very well. Gnome needs lots of tweeks and cleanups to get working decently.
    Perhaps I will give KF5 another shot next month Smile

The nice thing about Linux package management is that testing only costs time/bandwidth.

Speaking of which...since dolphin is the primary reason I decided to explore alternatives to KDE, what would you recommend using instead of dolphin if I don't want to keep Qt4/kdelibs4 installed?

• GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 3 days ago
    KF5

I have been using the latest KF5 (not GNOME) for the past 2 months and "a beautiful desktop but the bugs, memory leaks" is how I'd describe it. It's very messy in all sorts of ways and I can't wait until they make it stable, less leaky, less buggy, etc. I sometimes regret moving to it so early.

• GNOME vs KDE: Usability vs. Options   1 week 3 days ago

Ok, here is my opinion. KDE4/Qt4 with a patched akonadi was literally rock solid.
    I used KDE for years now since Gnome3 was released.
    Now that KF5 is out and not everything is ported to KF5/Qt5, I am testing a few things such as Gnome 3.16.
    It is definitely a beautiful desktop but the bugs, memory leaks, and gnome-shell crashes are too much. I will give it two months then test xfce for another two months and then hopefully back to KF5.

• Lost "root" login in Fedora 22-KDE   1 week 4 days ago
    EXXPuser wrote:

I could use some help. My girlfriend recently installed Fedora 22-KDE and while "tweaking" her preferences and installing other programs has lost the option to login as root. She is able to login as root in a terminal, and if a program asks for root access, but not from startup???? I am at a loss as to how she screwed this up or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what display manager you are using.
    If it is sddm, then edit /etc/sddm.conf and add MinimumUid=0.

If it is kdm, then edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and change
    AllowRootLogin=false to AllowRootLogin=true.

The location of those two files may be different on your computer. Typing 'locate kdmrc' or 'locate sddm.conf' may help.

If you can't find sddm.conf, you may need to create one (touch /etc/sddm.conf).

kdmrc should be installed by default.

Having said all that, you don't need to log in as root to KDE. In fact, even if you ignore the security risks and still log on as root, this may still break things because running a full KDE session as root can expose hidden bugs. Known bugs will also probably cause extra damage (expect dead unicorns and aliens abducting your kittens when you do so).

• Lost "root" login in Fedora 22-KDE   1 week 4 days ago

kdm or gdm and the likes of them present which users can log in when starting a session (logging in as root is strongly discouraged for good reasons).

Have anything changes been made to the login screen or session manager?

• Canonical Closes libwmf Vulnerability In Ubuntu OSes   1 week 5 days ago

This a bad one "font handling in the kernel".

Generally speaking though, I think libraries that have not been updated in more than 4 years need to be audited and dropped if possible.

• Canonical Closes libwmf Vulnerability In Ubuntu OSes   1 week 5 days ago

Microsoft fonts and system for implementing them is notoriously insecure. Look no further than weeks ago.

• Canonical Closes libwmf Vulnerability In Ubuntu OSes   1 week 6 days ago

The last libwmf release was in 2005 .
    Distros just keep patching security bugs in it. Perhaps time to fork or just drop support for wmf format altogether?
    WMF is a Microsoft windows file type anyway. Do we absolutely need to support it?

I simply uninstalled it on my system and rebuilt relevant packages without wmf support..less headaches...

• Today in Techrights   2 weeks 2 days ago

I don't think they are dying yet. Windows however is reaching its limits. It is going to face the same fate that Nokia's feature phone OSs faced when Android (a smartphone OS) came in.
    Microsoft is trying to slow that down by involving Windows fans with Windows 10 development.
    They definitely are not the company that could charge 400 dollars for a Windows CD though. Their peak days are over.
    The main reason is that with the rise of Android and OSX, people are finally realizing that what matter are the applications and not platform that runs them.
    OSX can run Microsoft Office, photoshop, autocad, vlc, etc.. etc... and is much more polished than Microsoft Windows. There will eventually be very little reason to continue using Microsoft Windows.
    Microsoft are adapting by supporting different operating systems. There is even Office for Android now.

• Today in Techrights   3 weeks 4 days ago

Better image, yes. But the actions are the same, just more closely guarded/veiled. I wrote about a dozen articles to show exactly that. They are still blackmailing politicians, bribing, and extorting companies using patents, to name just few recent examples.

• Today in Techrights   3 weeks 4 days ago

About that, is it any less now that Ballmer is out of the picture?
    The new guy is trying to build a better image for the company.

• Today in Techrights   3 weeks 5 days ago

I agree with you about Intel, IBM and could also add several others. I do write about them as well (see the Wiki or search the site to see hundreds of articles about these two alone). Microsoft just attacks GNU/Linux more often, hence more articles about Microsoft.

• Today in Techrights   3 weeks 5 days ago

I do not see microsoft as that much of a threat in any way; if anything, they have resigned themselves to a world where windows is less dominant and they are playing along better with others than they have ever been.

OTOH, I want to bring to attention the politics that are played in the 'open source' world -

1) IBM enlisted the support and mind share of OSS zealots (not just red hat spreading FUD on sun) to bad mouth Sun which was actually far more friendly toward open source and open standards and even contributed much more heavily than IBM (open office alone exceed anything IBM has done for open source). After bringing Sun down, IBM themselves have become completely irrelevant not just to OSS but to the industry in general.

2) Intel has been doing the same and spreading FUD and lies about their competition ( AMD and ARM). Unfortunately, the same people are biting into that as well. Intel has done more harm to the marketplace than microsoft has ( or is doing) and yet, I see the community not say a word but meekly surrender to intel's FUD and accept it as the truth. Intel's contribution to OSS is not only overrated but highly toxic. I know many of their developers contribute to xorg but I rest my case.

• Can LibreOffice successfully compete with Microsoft Office?   4 weeks 8 hours ago

Writer has a lot of features, but some people complain that Calc and Presenter are lacking (in some areas of functionality). I don't know if that's true because I rarely use Office suites (once a month at most).

• Can LibreOffice successfully compete with Microsoft Office?   4 weeks 10 hours ago

But of course. Was that meant to be a rhetorical question? LO/OO does everything that the majority of office site users need, without tying them to a specific vendor. At my former employer where ms office was the standard, I ran Linux on the desktop, and used OO for years, and nobody ever seemed to notice anything amiss in my weekly reports.

• Kubuntu 15.10 Alpha 1 Released with KDE Plasma 5.3 and KDE Apps 15.04.1 - Gallery   4 weeks 3 days ago

I'm using the latest 15.04 (since release) with backported parts so as to have the very latest of KDE/Plasma. Last night I finally found a way to restore functionality I had been missing since moving to Plasma 5.

Plasma 5 is not, in my assessment, ready for adoption yet. There is still much polishing work to be done. I'm not sure why Kubuntu adopted it so quickly, as if the target audience is developers who can contribute bug reports, widgets, etc.

• Kubuntu 15.10 Alpha 1 Released with KDE Plasma 5.3 and KDE Apps 15.04.1 - Gallery   4 weeks 4 days ago

Posting from kubuntu 15.10 alpha as we speak, so to speak, and it looks good but obviously there will be lots of change before October. I'm optimistic that it will go farily smoothly, as the kubuntu devs have been doing a good job. In the switch to systemd during the 15.04 testing cycle, there was 1 glitch, which was easily fixable (had to re-enable sddm), but for the past several kubuntu releases, I've installed the alpha, and the system has remained bootable and usable through all the updates along the way to the final release.

More in Tux Machines

The Companies That Support Linux: MariaDB

MariaDB Corporation is a provider of open source database solutions for SaaS, cloud and on-premise applications that require high availability, scalability, and performance. Built by the founder and core engineering team behind MySQL, MariaDB has more than 2 million users globally and over 500 customers in more than 45 countries -- most of whom are running Linux. Read more

UK health service nurtures open source communities

The UK’s National Health Service (NHS) is nurturing a growing number of communities of software developers working on open source solutions. NHS’ Code4Health team is now supporting 17 communities that bring together health care providers, developers and supporters. Read more

LG's got a flip phone that runs Android Lollipop

Flip phones aren't just for retro hipsters and the elderly anymore... well, actually they kind of are. But they're super popular in Asia, and now you can get one that'll run the latest apps: LG's Gentle flip phone. The faux-leather adorned device is running a bleeding edge version of Android 5.1 Lollipop and packing 4G LTE. Otherwise, it's not exactly a power-user's dream with a 3.2-inch 480 x 320 screen, 3-megapixel rear camera, 4GB of (expandable) storage and 1GB of RAM. But for just 20 million won ($175) it would make a fine second phone, provided you live in Korea -- it's unlikely to come here, and similar flip phones can be pricey to import. Read more

Next-gen Android One phone launches in India for $176

The Lava Pixel V1 offers a solid value for the price, combining mid-range hardware with the latest Android software updates from Google. Read more