Language Selection

English French German Italian Portuguese Spanish

Recent comments

• It's not time for Popcorn Time, and it never will be   1 week 2 days ago

Maybe finding a solution that encourages seeking alternative (legal) sources for entertainment and information is not the goal. Maybe they just want to compensate (welfare) the accuser and ban everything that is not acquired for payments through 'official' channels. Maybe. Wink

• It's not time for Popcorn Time, and it never will be   1 week 3 days ago

Instead of parroting cartel propaganda (and blaming the tool instead of the user) why not recommend a selection of filters for different regions, and defaulting to one appropriate for the user's (assumedly derived from IP) region?

After all, even in police states like the US and Japan there are many valid legal files available for downloading. One filter could facilitate finding public-domain files, for (prime) example.

• ​NCC Group to audit OpenSSL for security holes   3 weeks 15 hours ago

Considering openssl's recent history of bugs, this is desperately needed.

• KDE Applications 14.12.3 Officially Released   3 weeks 5 days ago

Kdepim is the highlight of this release. The 4.14 branch is still under heavy development which is good.

• First fully sandboxed Linux desktop app   5 weeks 5 days ago

Currently a lot of Free software is already installed by passing pre-compiled binaries anyway, via repositories, so I don't think it's all that much worse.

• First fully sandboxed Linux desktop app   5 weeks 6 days ago

I'm not sure where this is headed. It seems they are copying Android.
    ~/.local/share/xdg-app/ being the equivalent of /data/app and /usr/share/xdg-app the equivalent of /system/app.
    I would rather Linux stayed compiled from source tarballs. I don't want Gnome to ship a install-able 'gnome package' and KDE to ship a 'kde apps package'.
    I'm not happy about this.

• Linux Mint News update   5 weeks 6 days ago

Honestly, probably not worth the effort. You will have to fork udev, provide an alternative to logind, etc...
    Users won't actually see any difference when switching to systemd apart from the syntax for starting/stopping services. The whole thing with Debian is political and their users are put in the middle. Debian diverged too much for vanilla and doesn't want to adapt.
    This is the kind of age where we can afford sacrificing UNIX principles in order to keep up with other platforms.
    We really should be concerned with other bad things like the crazy amount of package splitting distributions such as ArchLinux and Debian do. That in my opinion is what breaks KISS principle by diverging from upstream, and not a more advanced base system/init system.

• systemd 219   5 weeks 6 days ago

They should have asked for help from the Sailfish people with that.

• Linux Mint News update   6 weeks 4 hours ago

I for one, will not be moving to systemd, ever. If Mint moves to it, it will do so without me (I've been on Mint for about a year now and have been happy with it).

It's good to see people checking to see whether it makes sense in terms of effort to remove systemd from Debian.

• WiFi   6 weeks 1 day ago

On the left side of the computer is a 3-position wireless switch

1 - "off" position - Disables wireless devices

2 - "on" position - Enables wireless devices

3 - "momentary" position - Scans for WLAN networks (see Dell Wi-Fi Catcher™ Network Locator)

To the right of this is a Wi-Fi Catcher light.

DELL WI-FI CATCHER NETWORK LOCATOR
    ----------------------------------
    The wireless switch on your Dell computer uses the Dell Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator to scan specifically for WiFi WLAN in your vicinity. For more information about the wireless switch, see wireless switch.

To scan for WiFi WLAN, slide and hold the switch in the "momentary" position for a few seconds. The Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator functions regardless of whether your computer is turned on or off, in hibernate mode, or in standby mode, as long as the switch is configured through Dell QuickSet or the BIOS (system setup program) to control WiFi network connections.

Because the Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator is disabled and not configured for use when your computer is shipped to you, you must first use Dell QuickSet to enable and configure the switch to control WiFi network connections.

Don't know whether this helps or not. Good luck.

• WiFi   6 weeks 5 days ago

I am assuming that you use NetworkManager in Mint (the icon that corresponds to connection with the symbols of connection in the tray), but have you tried WiCD? Are you getting no Wi-Fi connections listed at all? Have you checked that the laptop has no physical switch to enable Wi-Fi? Some have that...

• Today in Techrights   8 weeks 16 hours ago

The way Swapnil Bhartiya put it, "I find Google Android to be the most open platforms out there; if it was not ‘open’, Cyanogen wouldn’t even exist in the first place. Try building an iOS or Windows clone."

There are quite a few Linux-based mobile OSes that are proprietary, either entirely or partly (e.g. Sailfish OS). Thankfully, Android has been largely FOSS (AOSP), except many of the apps (especially not those that Google makes), and it's this platform that really took off, not webOS for example (although webOS too is being further liberated over time). In automotive telematics and other areas it's common to see platforms that are proprietary and built on top of Linux.

I intend to do another post about it later on. A lot of the "Google controls Android with iron first" type of characterisations came from Microsoft-friendly sites (I first spotted this and wrote about it in 2013). It's not that it's 100% untrue, but they have accentuated this to incite against Google and then tried to use it to poison the minds of OEMs while Microsoft (and proxies like Nokia) attempted an antitrust angle, not only in the US but in Europe too.

Microsoft is, as usual, playing dirty. This is the latest example of it and those who give CM the benefit of the doubt do so at their own peril.

• Today in Techrights   8 weeks 1 day ago

The way I see it is Google has a bad lock-in on Android. CM is trying to change that.

• Linux vs Windows   8 weeks 2 days ago

It seems as though Windows developers take much of their 'inspiration' from KDE in recent years.

• Issues with Kubuntu 14.10   8 weeks 5 days ago

It's Ubuntu Linux with the KDE Desktop Environment suite, insteal of Gnome. I have installed regular Ubuntu and have installed KDE version 3.2.3 I guess there is no difference between my Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
    Online writer

• PCLinuxOS 2014.12 MATE screenshot tour   11 weeks 5 days ago

My dad was a user of PCLinuxOS KDE for quite a while (my fault).

• PCLinuxOS 2014.12 MATE screenshot tour   11 weeks 6 days ago

That is a mighty nice looking desktop! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

• New Apt-Fast Version, Now With Full Apt-Get Syntax Replacement   12 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks

• Happy New Year From Roy and Rianne   12 weeks 3 days ago

Happy New Year, everyone!

• XLennart: A Game For Systemd Haters With Nothing Better To Do   15 weeks 7 hours ago

I like when he posted on his website that people tried to raise 'bitcoin' donations to hire an assassin to kill him Smile

• Issues with Kubuntu 14.10   19 weeks 2 days ago

This is my daily dependent machine..so no plasma 5 yet.

• Issues with Kubuntu 14.10   19 weeks 3 days ago

We're both using KDE here (on all 3 PCs). I spent a long time trying to figure out how to do things in Kdenlive and I gave up on it after it had crashed quite a few times (that was about 4 years ago).

The mounting issue that you've highlighted sounds like it can be worked around and is not a critical nuisance. No system is perfect and I too still have some niggled to deal with (like KMix taking up far too much RAM on this laptop). After experiencing the same issues for quite some time one gets accustomed to the workarounds.

Do you use Plasma 5?

• Issues with Kubuntu 14.10   19 weeks 4 days ago

Yes, I chose to do a clean install of Kubuntu 14.10 rather than update 14.04.

Yes, I do like Kubuntu 14.10. I like the well-updated yet stable KDE. I like the up-to-date programming libraries for Ruby, Python, and other development environments.

However, the proper mounting of my network-nas(Synology) nfs share does drive me crazy. It worked fine in Kubuntu 14.04. I'm sure that being a 'buntu, it will soon be corrected.

For Kdenlive, the issue is often due to libraries Kdenlive depends on to function. When those drivers, libraries, and codecs are updated, Kdenlive can be left hanging. I do, generally, find Kdenlive to work well enough. I've dabbled with Openshot and Pitivi for video editing, but usually return to Kdenlive for the bulk of it. Kdenlive has become more stable with time. I also own Lightworks video editing software, but it's more of a geniune professional editing tool, and takes a lot of work to master.

Anyway, the sunlab ppa repository fixed my issue with Kdenlive.

My other favorite distro is Mageia, and I usually have a couple of machines running that. Also, I like some of the (more user-friendly) distros based on Arch linux, such as Manjaro.

I'm at heart a KDE guy, and over the last 4 years, Kubuntu has generally been my goto distro.

• Issues with Kubuntu 14.10   19 weeks 5 days ago

I upgraded a Kubuntu machine some weeks ago and found some issues, even though I'd mostly attribute them to a bad hard drive (faulty sectors). The previous upgrade of Kubuntu on that machine left me with a bad MBR that made it impossible to boot until I found some solution on Google.

I never had issues with clean installs of Kubuntu, not any critical issues anyway.

I found kdenlive to be quite buggy and unstable and now use openshot, which can also be unstable at times.

• If You Are Sick of Surveillance, Safeguard Your Systems   21 weeks 2 days ago

Thanks for picking up this article. I have a followup article at http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/computers/item/19389-why-should-the-law-abiding-care-about-nsa-surveillance

More in Tux Machines

Linux Mint 18 Will Arrive in 2016, Linux Mint 17.2 and LMDE 2 Coming Very Soon

The Linux Mint developers have announced today, March 30, in their monthly newsletter, that the team works hard these days to release the final version of the LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) 2 (codename Betsy), as well as to implement its awesome new features to the upcoming Linux Mint 17.2 update of the current stable distribution of the project, Rebecca. Read more

Cinnamon Developers Working to Improve Loading Times for the Desktop

The Linux Mint developers are also working on the Cinammon desktop environment, so the distribution is not their entire focus. They are now trying to make it load faster and they say they already had some success. Read more

How the current intellectual property landscape impacts open source

Meet Doug Kim. He's a computer engineer-turned-lawyer who chairs the Intellectual Property Practice Group at McNair Law Firm in Columbia, South Carolina. Doug's practice includes patent preparation and prosecution, trademark, service mark preparation and prosecution, and securing copyright registrations in areas that include Geographical Information Systems (GIS), software, books, music, product packaging, and distribution. He has expertise in software, method, and mechanical patents as well as open source licensing. Read more

Black Lab Linux Wants Ubuntu 10.04 Users to Upgrade to Their Professional Desktop

Black Lab Software, the creator of the Black Lab Linux series of computer operating systems based on the world’s most popular Linux distribution, Ubuntu, announced earlier today, March 30, on their Twitter account, that they will offer customers who use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS a fully supported upgrade path to their Professional Desktop edition. Read more