Debian

TopicRepliessort iconCreatedLast reply
Ubuntu - More coverage or less coverage? 0 7 years 21 weeks ago
by Roy Schestowitz
n/a
Syndicate content

More in Tux Machines

The Speed of Time

How long does it take to read the time? How would you time time? These strange questions came to the fore back in 2014 when Netflix was switching services from CentOS Linux to Ubuntu, and I helped debug several weird performance issues including one I'll describe here. While you're unlikely to run into this specific issue anymore, what is interesting is this type of issue and the simple method of debugging it: a pragmatic mix of observability and experimentation tools. I've shared many posts about superpower observability tools, but often humble hacking is just as effective. A Cassandra database cluster had switched to Ubuntu and noticed write latency increased by over 30%. A quick check of basic performance statistics showed over 30% higher CPU consumption. What on Earth is Ubuntu doing that results in 30% higher CPU time!? Read more

Making Linux Offline Voice Recognition Easier

For just about any task you care to name, a Linux-based desktop computer can get the job done using applications that rival or exceed those found on other platforms. However, that doesn’t mean it’s always easy to get it working, and speech recognition is just one of those difficult setups. A project called Voice2JSON is trying to simplify the use of voice workflows. While it doesn’t provide the actual voice recognition, it does make it easier to get things going and then use speech in a natural way. The software can integrate with several backends to do offline speech recognition including CMU’s pocketsphinx, Dan Povey’s Kaldi, Mozilla’s DeepSpeech 0.9, and Kyoto University’s Julius. However, the code is more than just a thin wrapper around these tools. The fast training process produces both a speech recognizer and an intent recognizer. So not only do you know there is a garage door, but you gain an understanding of the opening and closing of the garage door. Read more

today's leftovers

Games: Latest From Godot Engine and Reimplenting the Wolfenstein 3-D Renderer

• Godot Engine - Multiplayer in Godot 4.0: RPC syntax, channels, ordering

Howdy Godotters! Time for another update on Godot 4.0's multiplayer networking. We have been really busy working on the foundation of the networking and multiplayer classes lately, and there are quite a few new features to talk about. In this post, we'll start by showing some of the new RPC syntax and features.

• Reimplenting the Wolfenstein 3D renderer | mcomella.xyz

When I was young, I was told that games like Wolfenstein 3D use “fake 3D” and ever since I’ve been wondering what they meant by that. I recently satisfied my curiosity by reading through Fabien Sanglard’s very enjoyable book, Game Engine Black Book: Wolfenstein 3D, which explains how Wolfenstein 3D was built. While reading, I realized, “Hey – I can do that!” and set about reimplenting the renderer: specifically, the algorithm that generates and textures the walls in a 3D perspective. Here’s the result with a texture and a map I generated myself: