Language Selection

English French German Italian Portuguese Spanish

Mobile networks bear blast calls

Filed under
Misc

Vodafone, the largest network, told the BBC News website that it had seen "significantly higher call volumes" than usual following the incidents.

A spokesperson said Vodafone was advising people in London to avoid making unnecessary calls, and to send text messages instead.

Police have called for anyone with mobile images or video to e-mail them.

They have asked that anyone with images relevant to the incident should send them through the www.police.uk website, or send the photos via MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) to 07734 282 288.

While some networks are noticing the increase in call traffic others, such as T-Mobile, told the BBC News website that it was still business as usual.

A spokesperson said that it was experiencing "none of the congestion" that it had faced two weeks ago.

A number of London Tube stations have been evacuated and lines closed after the minor blasts in what Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair says is a "serious incident".

They come just two weeks after four blasts, three on the London Underground system and one on a bus, killed 56 people.

No requests

A spokesperson from Orange there was a "slight increase" of calls made on the network directly after the latest incidents, but that levels were now back to normal.

The strain, he added, was "nowhere near" as significant as the levels it saw two weeks ago following the attacks.

O2 reported a high volume of calls in the London area following reports of the blasts. It too advised people not to make unnecessary calls.
Both Vodafone and T-Mobile said they had not received any requests from authorities to prioritise traffic or to shut down any part of the mobile network.

Directly following the incidents two weeks ago in London, mobile phone images and videos flooded into news websites, as well as blogs and photo sharing websites.

BBC News.

More in Tux Machines

Yet another GTK+ update

GTK+ 3.20 was released a while ago; we’re up to 3.20.3 now. As I tried to explain in earlier posts here and here, this was a pretty active development cycle for GTK+. We landed a lot of of new stuff, and many things have changed. I’m using the neutral term changed here for a reason. How you view changes depends a lot on your perspective. Us, who implemented the changes, are of course convinced that they are great improvements. Others who maintain GTK+ themes or applications may have a different take, since changes often imply that they have to do work to adapt. Read more

Linux Kernel 3.4.112 LTS Has Many PowerPC, x86, HFS, and HFS+ Improvements

A couple of days ago, kernel developer Zefan Li released the one hundred twelfth maintenance build of the long-term supported Linux 3.4 kernel series for stable GNU/Linux users. Read more

Gentoo-Based Sabayon 16.05 Linux OS Switches to the Latest Linux 4.5 Kernel

Earlier today, April 29, 2016, the developers of the Gentoo-based Sabayon Linux operating system have announced the release of the respin ISO images for the month of May of 2016. Read more

Octa-core Cortex-A53 hacker SBC sells for $60

FriendlyARM’s $60, open spec “NanoPC-T3” SBC runs Android or Linux on an octa-core Cortex-A53 SoC packed with wireless and media interfaces, plus 8GB eMMC. The over-caffeinated board builders at Guangzhou, China-based FriendlyARM have shipped their highest-end hacker board yet. The NanoPC-T3 is almost identical to the NanoPC-T2 board, but swaps out the quad-core, Cortex-A9 Samsung S5P4418 SoC for a layout-compatible S5P6818 with eight Cortex-A53 cores that can be clocked dynamically from 400MHz to 1.4GHz. Last month, FriendlyARM’ unveiled an $11, quad-core NanoPi M1 single board computer with similarly open source hardware and Android and Linux software. Read more