Short bio: Computer Scientist, FOSS supporter (read more)
Tux Machines (TM)-specific
Thanks to a surge in demand for steel, the Internet and Scandinavian sofas, there are some new names among the very richest of the world's billionaires.
The billionaires are richer and more numerous for the second straight year, but the No. 1 spot is unchanged — Microsoft founder Bill Gates led the list for the 11th year in a row with a net worth of $46.5 billion, slightly less than his $46.6 billion last year.
World's billionaires by ranking and source of wealth:
1. Bill Gates, $46.5 billion, Microsoft
2. Warren Buffett, $44 billion, Berkshire Hathaway
3. Lakshmi Mittal, India, $25 billion, steel
4. Carlos Slim Helu, Mexico, $23.8 billion,telecom
5. Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud, Saudi Arabia,$23.7 billion, investments
6. Ingvar Kamprad, Sweden, $23 billion, Ikea
7. Paul Allen, $21 billion, Microsoft, investments
8. Karl Albrecht, Germany, $18.5 billion, supermarkets
9. Lawrence Ellison, California, $18.4 billion, Oracle
10. S. Robson Walton, Arkansas, $18.3 billion, Wal-Mart
Source: Forbes magazine