9 Steps: Make a ultra cool and good looking desktop for your Ubuntu Linux machine in 30 minutes - green version
We already concluded in my previous guide (from April) that we think that Ubuntu might be the greatest OS in the world. But that doesn’t change the fact that the desktop looks very dull out of the box.
But now we are going to change that and I will now let you know how to turn your desktop into this fantastic colourful desktop in no time.
To make the perfect desktop, it is NOT enough just changing into a cool background and apply a nice theme. The secret, which I will guide you through consists in my guide of 9 steps:
- Change background picture
- Change GTK2 theme with window border and controls
- Change icon set
- Change Fonts
- Configure the top bar
- Install a cool mac-like dock (AWN)
- Install and get conky up and running to get that geeky text information about RAM usage, processes etc
- Change login theme
- Change the ugly orange color which is between the login screen and your fully loaded desktop