I though I would share my thoughts on my exploits with the popular Media Center Solutions for Linux. While none of them are perfect some come very close.
- very smooth animation, clean interface, easy to navigate without a mouse
- easy to add folders to existing libraries
- Good search options after selecting a category off the main menu
- Pressing Esc drops you out of full screen and into window mode.
- Connectivity to internet streams including shoutcast, Onion
- News Network, TED Talks, Movie Trailers, Youtube, and Deviant Art.
- Ability to add user accounts
- Decent support for plugins, easy to install
- No names under icons in main menu with default install
- Scanning over networked drives for media can be a bit slow
- Limited organization options other than “Tv Shows” or “Movies” in the video category.
- Limited amount of plugins, although this can change.
- Elisa was very nice, but I got the distinct impression that because it was simplified, I wouldn’t be doing all sorts of tweaks to it. I was completely fine with it and Elisa does accomplish its mission of being a simple, easy to use Desktop MCE.