Dr. Roy Schestowitz Latest posts | Real-time contact
Short bio: Software Engineer, interdisciplinary researcher, and an advocate of fair competition (read more)
Short bio: Computer Scientist, FOSS supporter (read more)
Tux Machines (TM)-specific
Submit search form
It's the best!
The best and I mean the very best distribution is the one you like best!
After 1/2 a decade of constantly hopping distro's I have stopped at Arch Linux.
- Constant upgrades - i.e no versions as such
- Has the latest stable packages - i.e :- KDE 4.3.1 was in arch linux's repos the day it was released, so no waiting for software to be packaged by the maintainers.
- I got fed up with the silliness of Ubuntu's update policy - i.e why is the latest stable version of ubuntu not using Firefox 3.5.x yet by default ??
- Yaourt / abs makes recompiling a package very easy - not as powerful as gentoo but nearly there.
- arch seems faster than any other OS (except gentoo)
- Dependency issues are very rare (usually the solution is to wait an hour or so for the mirror to update)
- rolling release
- pacman and yaourt (one of the best packaging tools)
- documents (covers almost every area)
I like swapping distros every time I do an upgrade. This is so much fun and I get to know many distros. It's like driving different cars or ordering different meals.
Going forward, Tux Machines does not have ads. Instead it relies on readers' support and is run as a public service.
Help Support TM
Wall of Appreciation
Follow the site via RSS/Twitter.
Part of Bytes Media
Content (where original) is available under CC-BY-SA, copyrighted by original author/s.