Short bio: Computer Scientist, FOSS supporter (read more)
Tux Machines (TM)-specific
When KDE 4.4 was released a few days ago, I just had to try it out. Here is a brief outline of the installation og the unstable KDE 4.4 ebuilds and first day experience.
It started out with ebuild blockers, blockers and more blockers. All KDE 4.3.5 packages blocked the new 4.4 ebuilds. Some propose to remove 4.3 KDE entries from world and world_sets but it was not there. So I ended up creating a binary buildhost to minimize downtime for my laptop. Also with a binary buildhost I could run the same packages on the laptop and the desktop machine.
I only encountered one compile failure. PyQt4 failed with:
sip: QAbstractAnimation has not been defined
The simple workaround is to USE="multimedia" emerge -va PyQt4.
After a bit of messing around nepomuk/akonadi seems to be working, at least enough to start up Kmail.
So fairly quickly the KDE installation was ready to roll. I started out testing it with a full days work and I've only come across some minor new issues: