Language Selection

English French German Italian Portuguese Spanish

Fedora 14 Theme Preview

Filed under
Linux

At last week’s design team meeting, we made a decision about the direction of the overall theme for Fedora 14′s artwork, which will affect – among other things – the default wallpaper.

We decided on Kyle Baker’s submission, a Blender-created mockup depicting many lines coming together to form a solid figure, to serve as the basis of the visual concept of Fedora 14.

more here




Yaa for Fedora

I just love they went to their community and asked for participation in the creation of the look for their next release. This is so unlike those dictators at Ubuntu who pushed a design on their members above their objections.

Go team Fedora!

Ubuntu dictators

Dictators my backside. You are not forced to use Ubuntu, you are not even forced to use it as they provide it, they give you the source code you know. You are also not forced to use their theme, just install the Fedora theme if you like it more, it's (polished) Gnome you know, not some hidden source Win32 sorcery.

Ubuntu = Fedora as far as ethics is concerned, as a matter of fact. Providing you bother to check your facts of course.

and truly

no one is forced to use either of those decidedly dictatorial distros.

It's one thing to present a distro as they can best package it and make things work, it's another to try to manipulate and control the way people use the OS as both of these distros attempt.

better to use a distro that gives you a polished total package yet leaves all the final decisions and open options to the user, not those trying to determine your Linux experience for you.

Yet another reason why having multiple Linux distros available is a good thing.

Big Bear

Re: and truly

bigbearomaha wrote:
no one is forced to use either of those decidedly dictatorial distros.

It's one thing to present a distro as they can best package it and make things work, it's another to try to manipulate and control the way people use the OS as both of these distros attempt.

better to use a distro that gives you a polished total package yet leaves all the final decisions and open options to the user, not those trying to determine your Linux experience for you.

Yet another reason why having multiple Linux distros available is a good thing.

Big Bear

Exactly, that's the point. There is no dictatorship in sight, in the big picture. So Mark can do whatever he wants within his distro, he can also make it "dictatorial". He is not harming anything with that, as long as it stays GPL ant it's Linux, meaning it can be swapped over with any other distribution with no incompatibility risks.

Ubuntu = Future Miscrosoft

I'll be forced to use Ubunutu when they run everyone else out of business with their predatory practices. By then they will be just like Microsoft with a mindless following. Fedora you are our only hope!

Play Nice

Look, if you dog's can't share the table scraps, I'll have to put you outside at dinner time.

You guys are arguing over the bottom feeders 3-5% of the desktop market (aka "linux").

Who cares which flavor of this 6 month release cycle is top dog?

Wait a few weeks, and a whole new batch of bugs, problems, incompatibilities will be released as the next coolest thing.

Then you can all start a whole new round of fanboy chants of "my distro sucks less then your distro", and compare the all so important color schemes and desktop themes.

I'm with Redhat on this one, Linux on the Desktop will NEVER happen. There's not a business/enterprise in the world that will put up with re-installing a desktop OS every 6 months.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

Trolling rolling

vonskippy wrote:
Look, if you dog's can't share the table scraps, I'll have to put you outside at dinner time.

You guys are arguing over the bottom feeders 3-5% of the desktop market (aka "linux").

Who cares which flavor of this 6 month release cycle is top dog?

Wait a few weeks, and a whole new batch of bugs, problems, incompatibilities will be released as the next coolest thing.

Then you can all start a whole new round of fanboy chants of "my distro sucks less then your distro", and compare the all so important color schemes and desktop themes.

I'm with Redhat on this one, Linux on the Desktop will NEVER happen. There's not a business/enterprise in the world that will put up with re-installing a desktop OS every 6 months.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

Dang! You taking all the fun out of my troll posts!

Playing Nice, and Happening Now!

We don't care if Linux is 1% or 15% or 95% of the desktop world!
We use it, and don't have to use Windows or OSX.

And you also miss the Linux point, one doesn't have to re-install every 6 months. There are even Ubuntu releases with a three year cycle, and other Linux distros with rolling releases, which update/upgrade without reinstalling.
And we get updates; not once a month and on more than just the OS; whenever the correction is offered.

We have choices, NOW...that is the point!

He just pot stirring

Linux is already on the desktop. the ones in my home and in the small businesses and schools I admin/consult for. will it reach the widespread numbers illicitly gained by MS? not a chance.

The damage has been done and even though MS may not use the same agreements and contracts with OEM's that got them to such a large installed base, they are already there by those tactics.

I doubt ANY OS to ever come out will ever see those numbers because of the MS lesson.

You know as well as I do there are already distros where re-installing every 6 months doesn't happen and isn't necessary.

Debian, buntu, Opensuse and others handle that very well now.

As long as the Linux and open source community sees fit to keep rolling out the apps and the effort, I will keep using it as my primary OS every chance I get.

Same goes for those I admin and consult for. Every time Linux shows itself to be an appropriate fit for their needs, it will be used.

Big Bear

Re: Ubuntu = Future Microsoft

poodles wrote:
I'll be forced to use Ubunutu when they run everyone else out of business with their predatory practices.

Impossible to happen, it's open source. Then if you want to troll for the heck of it that's fine with me.

The only thing left will be

The only thing left will be Ubuntu and the hobby distros after they kill off Mandriva and Suse. Fedora you are our only hope!

Natural selection for you

That will be the result of natural selection, not some bribed-pre-install, crafted-incompatibility conspiracy.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

More in Tux Machines

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Delayed Until February 2, Will Bring Linux 4.8, Newer Mesa

If you've been waiting to upgrade your Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) operating system to the 16.04.2 point release, which should have hit the streets a couple of days ago, you'll have to wait until February 2. We hate to give you guys bad news, but Canonical's engineers are still working hard these days to port all the goodies from the Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) repositories to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which is a long-term supported version, until 2019. These include the Linux 4.8 kernel packages and an updated graphics stack based on a newer X.Org Server version and Mesa 3D Graphics Library. Read more

Calamares Release and Adoption

  • Calamares 3.0 Universal Linux Installer Released, Drops Support for KPMcore 2
    Calamares, the open-source distribution-independent system installer, which is used by many GNU/Linux distributions, including the popular KaOS, Netrunner, Chakra GNU/Linux, and recently KDE Neon, was updated today to version 3.0. Calamares 3.0 is a major milestone, ending the support for the 2.4 series, which recently received its last maintenance update, versioned 2.4.6, bringing numerous improvements, countless bug fixes, and some long-anticipated features, including a brand-new PythonQt-based module interface.
  • Due to Popular Request, KDE Neon Is Adopting the Calamares Graphical Installer
    KDE Neon maintainer Jonathan Riddell is announcing today the immediate availability of the popular Calamares distribution-independent Linux installer framework on the Developer Unstable Edition of KDE Neon. It would appear that many KDE Neon users have voted for Calamares to become the default graphical installer system used for installing the Linux-based operating system on their personal computers. Indeed, Calamares is a popular installer framework that's being successfully used by many distros, including Chakra, Netrunner, and KaOS.

Red Hat Financial News

Wine 2.0 RC6 released