On Design Contests in FLOSS
It seems to be somewhat popular to hold a contest, if a FLOSS project needs a (new) logo or other seemingly singular asset.
Proponents may bring up that a contest would:
- lead to large range of choices thanks to the shear number of participants.
- generate publicity, as both the announcment and outcome of the contest may seem newsworthy.
- attract new contributors to the project.
- Demonstrate commitment to openness, community-building and meritocracy
- The community can vote on the result, democratically.
- At least the winner, if not other participants, too, gets a portfolio piece out of it.