Fedora 16 Released
The Fedora Project is pleased to announce the release of Fedora 16 ("Verne"). For detailed information, see the release notes:
What's New in Fedora 16?
For desktop users
A journey to the center of the desktop:
* GNOME 3.2, the latest update to the most popular desktop environment, brings new features, including:
- System Settings gains an "Online Accounts" panel, which provides a central point for managing online accounts like Google, Facebook, etc.
- A new contact management application is integrated with Empathy, Evolution and the new "Online Accounts" settings panel
- A new document management application provides a simpler alternative to traditional file management for both local and "in-cloud" documents.
* KDE 4.7, the most recent version of this feature-rich desktop environment, brings substantial updates, including:
- DigiKam 2.0 adds face detection and recognition, geotagging and more.
- An updated Plasma Workspaces window manager (KWin) makes KDE better suited for mobile devices, and also adds improvements for desktop users.
- A new shutdown dialog allows users with multiple operating systems to select the OS to boot next.