Gentoo 2006.1 Impressions
Not surprisingly, this release is meant to improve on everything that 2006.0 offered, and is available for all archs. One major milestone with this release is that for the AMD64, HPPA, x86 and PPC releases, 4.1.1 will be the default gcc version upgraded from 3.4 in the previous release.
As with each new release, there are new 2006.1 specific profile layouts for the Alpha, x86 and AMD64 archs. It's not mandatory to symlink to these though unless you specifically want to. Continuing to update your system via regular methods will keep you current.
The installer has also been revamped, but looks identical to what we have seen in 2006.0. Most notably, a networkless mode has been added for ultra quick installation of system and GRP packages. One concern with the 2006.0 release was the shady partitioner, but that has also been cleaned up and should offer more 'smart' configurations if you have an odd setup. So overall, this release offers quite a few updates rather than new additions. Here is a quick sumup:
- 2600.1 Additions & Improvements
- Addition of AMD64 Live Installer CD
- Updated Installer with Networkless Mode & Improved Partitioner
- GCC upgraded from 3.4.6 to 4.1.1 / Discontinued LinuxThreads in favor of NTPL
- Official support for Apple G5 Dual Core Systems
- Experimental SuperH Stages (Processor used in Sega Dreamcast, various HP PDAs)
- Based on the 2.6.17-r5 Kernel
- Improved drivers / better hardware detection