- Latest Headlines
- Recent comments
- All-Time Popular Stories
- Hot Topics
- Latest Members
blog.venthur.de: Two months since my last status update of my initial guess for Lenny’s release date, time for an update:
blogs.the451group: In other words, if you’re offering or giving a Linux-based computer this holiday season — whether you’re a big box retailer, online distributor, or Linux fanatic who wants to spread FOSS to family or friends — make sure you tell them it’s Linux.
penguinpetes.com: If you run Linux, BSD, or any other Free and Open Source system, you know that every time you open your mouth about it in day-to-day life, you usually have to stop and explain what it means.
toolbox.com/blogs: I don't know if you have ever seen a real penguin parade with real live penguins but if you look closer at those individual penguins you will see that they are not all clones of each other. I would say that penguins of human form, ie, those who use Linux, do so for many reasons as well.
linux-foundation.org: The Linux Foundation (LF), the nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the growth of Linux, today announced the results of its 2008 Technical Advisory Board (TAB) election, which drew record numbers of candidates and voters.
ddj.com: Timothy Cramer, senior director of OpenSolaris engineering at Sun, talks about the "open" part of OpenSolaris. DDJ: Tim, for clarity's sake, what are the basic differences between the Solaris 10 Operating System and OpenSolaris?
simplehelp.net: OpenArena is an open source First Person Shooter based around a Quake engine. It’s fast, violent, and very entertaining. And best of all, it runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X!
reddevil62-techhead.blogspot: I'M having more success with Beta 2 than I had with Beta 1 of Vector's latest distribution - I managed to get it to install, for starters!
crn.com: Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 was released to the public Monday, but Mike Beltzner, director of Firefox development, said that Mozilla is already targeting Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 for a February 2009 release.
groklaw.net: Free Software Foundation Europe's Freedom Task Force (FTF) and GPL-Violations.org have just formed a partnership that has released a guide to reporting and fixing license violations.
tectonic.co.za: For some, Ubuntu 8.10 was something of a disappointment. Not because it is bad, which it is not, but because is feels more like slightly refreshed Ubuntu 8.04 rather than a new release. Fedora 10 on the other hand, does feel a fresher and slightly more exciting.
You probably know that reading from RAM is a lot of faster than reading files from the hard drive, and reduces your disk I/O. This article shows how you can store files and directories in memory instead of on the hard drive with the help of tmpfs (a file system for creating memory devices).
- In Defense of the Creative Commons Non-Commercial License
- Acer leads hot netbook market
- Keeping Tabs (Virtually) on the Ubuntu Developer Summit
- Moonlight goes 3D
- Getting started with iptables in Linux
- Fedora update breaks… Fedora
- SimCity4 on Ubuntu 8.10
- Gentoo… finally
- Alternative to Vista? Try the user friendly PCLINUXOS 2007!
- Strong Netbook Shipments Buoy Notebook PC Market in Q3'08
- Mastering the Art of Remastering
- Sun's Mickos: I'm OK with Monty's MySQL 5.1 rant
- Open Source: Our Defense Against Lousy Preloaded Software
- Gnome 3 mockup screenshots
- The five most important IT trends of 2008
- Interview with Totem maintainer Bastien Nocera
- KDE at LinuxDay 2008 in Dornbirn, Austria
- Browser Speed Test Revisited
- Creating geographical charts with EuroOffice Map Chart
- The single most important thing you should know about Ubuntu…
- Amazon open sources public relations
- Build a Linux Distro You Can Be Proud Of
- Linux Kernel Performance Counter Subsystem
- Criticizing Vista Doesn’t Mean Promoting Ubuntu
- Software as a Subversive Activity, Part 4: One Geek's Journey from Microsoft Slave to Linux Liberty
- Manage your mbox file with Archmbox
- How To Install Microsoft Core Fonts In Ubuntu Linux
- Accessing Your Ubuntu Linux System with GDM
- CUPS failing at startup on Debian Lenny
- Vim Plugins You Should Know About, Part I
- HowTo upgrade from Debian Etch to Lenny
- Know when your drives are failing, with smartd
it.toolbox.com/blogs: I have said it before and I will say it again. Linux is the fastest growing operating system that I know of. I do not mean in market share, it is a free (as in beer) operating system, although it is moving up in the marketplace pretty fast. I mean the actual operating system itself.
bushweed.blogspot: After my article about Novell, i received at least one comment ( and more always come in ) which makes me really annoyed. Why do so many people treat Linux as a crusade?!?
blogs.zdnet.com: One important point about Paula’s story concerning IBM’s “Microsoft-free” Linux PC is that it’s a rental unit. What users get is a terminal.
itwire.com: At a time when most companies are happy if the balance sheet does not show any red ink, Red Hat Linux has bucked the trend. Its stock price leapt 32 percent last week compared to that a year ago, during a week when technology stocks overall fell by 2.6 percent.
mozilla.org: Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 is now available for download. This milestone is focused on testing the core functionality provided by many new features and changes to the platform scheduled for Firefox 3.1.
blogs.techrepublic.com: OS X is heralded for its friendliness, but according to Jack Wallen, it falls short in many other respects. Find out why he says Linux is superior in everything from flexibility to portability to cost.