- Latest Headlines
- Recent comments
- All-Time Popular Stories
- Hot Topics
- Latest Members
- E-tax could include Apple, Linux users
- Linux Outlaws 67 - Host Busses Don't Grow on Trees
- Ubuntu@Work, finally…
- Novatel Announces 'Smart Hotspot'
- Red Hat Invests In Open Source Business Intelligence Company
- Linux Prey Workarounds
- SFL Show Episode 0x02: Getting to Know the FSF
- When Being Proprietary Makes You Do Stupid Things
- Mozilla Developer News Dec 9
- Is Cisco an open source leech?
- USB Drives Better With Linux
- up-to-date Arch on an i586
- Vietnam joins open source software alliance
- Humorous Alt.Sysadmin.Recovery (ASR) Man Pages
- Dell triples Windows XP downgrade tax to $150
- Novell Sets New Performance Records with SUSE Linux Enterprise Real Time
- From Netvibes to Netbooks: Tariq Krim readying Jolicloud OS
- Black Duck Software Busts Open Source Myths
- Using HDMI Audio/Video On Linux
- mintCast - Episode 2
- Yo Frankie Game Now Available Online
- Firefox 3: 8 Untold Secrets
- Thunderbird 3 beta 1 - a platform for innovation shapes up
- How to Install and Configure DHCP Server in Ubuntu
- 14 more companies sign up to Open Handset Alliance
- Who Wants Snow?
- Monetizing open source and killing Adobe AIR
- Savage 2 Goes Freeware, Mac Client Released
- VLC Gripe
earthweb.com: "The mission statement: Create a User Interface so that OpenOffice.org becomes the users' choice not only out of need, but also out of desire." It’ s about time.
mozillamessaging.com: Thunderbird 3 Beta 1 is now available for download. This milestone is focused on testing the core functionality of the new features and platform changes that will be included in Thunderbird 3.
itwire.com: Just as the world's economies started to tank, Australia's Governments got themselves into an economic bind by promising to supply public school children with laptops. However, a leading systems integrator has issued a blueprint for an affordable blanket laptop roll out using Linux and netbooks.
Also: PA Charter School To Deploy 1,400 OLPC XO Laptops
linuxlock.blogspot: I cannot either support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom. At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful.
linux.com: Corporations and home users alike need firewall protection. Many choices abound, including some expensive, commercial options that only run on specialized hardware. Others, like SmoothWall Express, are freely downloadable, built on the same technology as the commercial solutions, and even deliver some superior features.
linuxworld.com (IDG): An example of how old habits die hard came just last week, when Microsoft's public relations team posted a case study on its PressPass Web site highlighting how a U.K. company called Speedy Hire expects to save US$1.48 million in five years after switching from Linux to Windows.
- Cleaning Up Spoken-Word Recorded Audio With Audacity
- How To Play .RMVB Files In Ubuntu
- shell Jobs
- Making the mouse wheel work in Debian
- Run MS Paint in Linux
- Using Autocompletion in Ubuntu
- Transform Ubuntu into a Media Center with XBMC
- Linux and UNIX How To: Scripting SSH and SFTP
- Install KDE applications on Windows?
- Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid full-function setup
- Magical apt-clone, broken Nexenta system recovery
- Removing a Line that Matches a Pattern from a File
- Using pam_mount to automount filesystems at login
- tsort: UNIX / Linux Perform Topological Sort
- More Tips For Documentation Writers
- Customized my EMacs today
blog.venthur.de: Two months since my last status update of my initial guess for Lenny’s release date, time for an update:
blogs.the451group: In other words, if you’re offering or giving a Linux-based computer this holiday season — whether you’re a big box retailer, online distributor, or Linux fanatic who wants to spread FOSS to family or friends — make sure you tell them it’s Linux.
penguinpetes.com: If you run Linux, BSD, or any other Free and Open Source system, you know that every time you open your mouth about it in day-to-day life, you usually have to stop and explain what it means.
toolbox.com/blogs: I don't know if you have ever seen a real penguin parade with real live penguins but if you look closer at those individual penguins you will see that they are not all clones of each other. I would say that penguins of human form, ie, those who use Linux, do so for many reasons as well.
linux-foundation.org: The Linux Foundation (LF), the nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the growth of Linux, today announced the results of its 2008 Technical Advisory Board (TAB) election, which drew record numbers of candidates and voters.
ddj.com: Timothy Cramer, senior director of OpenSolaris engineering at Sun, talks about the "open" part of OpenSolaris. DDJ: Tim, for clarity's sake, what are the basic differences between the Solaris 10 Operating System and OpenSolaris?
simplehelp.net: OpenArena is an open source First Person Shooter based around a Quake engine. It’s fast, violent, and very entertaining. And best of all, it runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X!
reddevil62-techhead.blogspot: I'M having more success with Beta 2 than I had with Beta 1 of Vector's latest distribution - I managed to get it to install, for starters!
crn.com: Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 was released to the public Monday, but Mike Beltzner, director of Firefox development, said that Mozilla is already targeting Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 for a February 2009 release.
groklaw.net: Free Software Foundation Europe's Freedom Task Force (FTF) and GPL-Violations.org have just formed a partnership that has released a guide to reporting and fixing license violations.
tectonic.co.za: For some, Ubuntu 8.10 was something of a disappointment. Not because it is bad, which it is not, but because is feels more like slightly refreshed Ubuntu 8.04 rather than a new release. Fedora 10 on the other hand, does feel a fresher and slightly more exciting.
You probably know that reading from RAM is a lot of faster than reading files from the hard drive, and reduces your disk I/O. This article shows how you can store files and directories in memory instead of on the hard drive with the help of tmpfs (a file system for creating memory devices).