- Latest Headlines
- Recent comments
- All-Time Popular Stories
- Hot Topics
- Latest Members
|Poll||RSS Feeds||srlinuxx||01/12/2012 - 4:43pm|
|Story||today's leftovers:||srlinuxx||01/12/2012 - 3:34am|
|Story||Mint Team Rushes out 14.1 Update||srlinuxx||01/12/2012 - 3:26am|
|Story||Xubuntu 12.10 review - Very nice||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 11:09pm|
|Story||How-to: Picking a desktop environment in Linux||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 11:08pm|
|Story||Slax 7.0 RC2 – Mini KDE 4||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 9:17pm|
|Story||Debian veteran Garbee to keynote at LCA||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 9:16pm|
|Story||Why Open Source Software is More Secure||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 9:11pm|
|Story||Desktop Linux needs anti-virus like a fish needs a bicycle||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 6:37pm|
|Story||Going from A to B in KDE, GNOME, and Windows||srlinuxx||30/11/2012 - 6:35pm|
- Reset root Password in Fedora
- How to view windows XP partitions(NTFS) in Fedora
- GCC compatibility in Fedora
- ascii art with LINUX aview
- Mplayer dvd video ripping example
- Run KDE in Windows
- Linux the Divine
- Ubuntu Hardy on Thinkpad x61s
- FreeBSD 7.0 review
- Lightweight Software Experiment
- Down with Windows! Russian schools turn to free software
- Interesting move concerning Mono on Linux
- Time for Open Source Software Vendors to Think Beyond Free
- an interview with kiwinz
- Buncha Ubuntu Howtos
- Linux in 30 Seconds
- 30 Seconds of Linux Funnies
africanxpression.co.za: I have been a Linux nut for many years and have tried many, many distro’s from the early Red Hat versions to Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, Fedora and of course Suse.I have been impressed with Linux as a server platform for many years but as a desktop platform is has been a long, hard road.
Carla Schroder: This brand-new Linux user, this refugee from the Redmond wastelands, was stretching her wings and trying to fly. She edited xorg.conf all by herself, though not quite the right way. Now how many new Linux users can even find xorg.conf, let alone have the boldness to muck with it? Or even experienced users? The Ubuntu forums are cram-full of command-line fear and loathing; the very sight of a text file drives them into seizures.
progbox.co.uk: The OSCS is supposed not to govern or provide a barrier-to-entry for projects. It is supposed to be a way to enhance the experience of new contributors by giving them all the information they need to get started, from contacts to process flows. How many people here would like to know just exactly how a package gets into main, or universe for that matter.
makeuseof.com: One thing you hear often about Linux is that there’s no software for it. This is simply not true. There may not be much proprietary software for it, but there is some, and there are plenty of free alternatives to what most offices use every day.
- Real transparency in urxvt
- E17 and fake transparency
- How to: Install Ubuntu packages with HTML link
- Network Printing on Linux – How to configure your CUPS server
- How do I print from Windows to a printer on a Linux print server
- Memory usage on Ubuntu, Install nmon on ubuntu
- How To: booting another Grub from Grub
screenage.de: So just before the first beta I finally updated my production machine to Hardy after feeling bad about not giving enough effort in testing for the last weeks. In one short sentence: It worked! In a longer sentence: It worked quite well, but…
johnlpreston.co.uk: Why more people don’t use Linux? It’s a pain to get set up correctly. For example, I was trying to show off Kubuntu to some friends last Tuesday, and because Kubuntu doesn’t contain any proprietary software, I couldn’t play MP3s or video.
talesoftech.blogspot: I find I'm recently getting inquiries from various friends and business associates who say they want to try Linux. So I thought I'll post about it here. So far I've used three Linux distributions (or distros): Xandros, Ubuntu and Gentoo.
sathyaphoenix.wordpress: There’s one big factor in why Linux isn’t popular on the desktop. Linux is free. I know this sounds like complete dog’s bollocks, but hear me out before judging my sanity.
phoronix.com: Back during CES 2008 we reported that NVIDIA may be plotting an open-source strategy. While NVIDIA has yet to publicize their intentions, something does definitely appear to be going on within their Santa Clara offices.
Matt Asay: I once took Jeremy Zawodny, technical director at Yahoo!, to task for not contributing enough back to open source. Today, Zawodny made it clear that openness and open source are in Yahoo!'s DNA.
linuxowns.wordpress: A live cd is an operating system and the programs on it you can boot from the cd/dvd drive.
- Linux Tip of the Day - cat a binary file, oops!
- Usage of Split command in Linux
- Post to Twitter from the Terminal Window
alexandersarchive.wordpress: Here are some of the operating systems FireFox has been ported to. Xandros Linux has the most realistic version of the Windows taskbar, while Mandrake has that half transparent Start Menu like Vista. Funny how htese different Linux distros saw fit to borrow the Windows GUI pieces that never found their way into Mac OS X.
blog.anamazingmind.com: We tell people we use Linux because it's secure. Or because it's free, because it's customizable, because it's free (the other meaning), because it has excellent community support... But all of that is just marketing bull. They wouldn't understand the real reason.
queynt.wordpress: It takes a lot of time to get things to work - Ever tried setting up WPA wireless on linux? It’s a pain in the neck. Linux is unfriendly to new technologies. You may expect a lot of your blings to plug and play, but expectation is generally different from reality.
wire.dattitu.de: Weekly round of quickies: Initial KDE4 port of the opensuse-updater started and available for testers and he new KDE 4.1 weekly snapshot was finally released yesterday.
- Matthias Ettrich: Linux Desktops Far Superior To Windows/Mac!
- The Total Growth of Open Source
- Intel Classmate PC Review
- Some Thoughts on Brainstorm
- Will Your Next New Car Have Linux Inside?
- AGPL Gets OK from OSI
- Mayor of Munich against standardization of MS OOXML
- Open Source Deki Wiki by Mindtouch
- How do you do "X" in Unix (Linux,Solaris..)?
- Debian with alternative kernels
- History of Linux Operating System
- OOXML Implementation: A Community of One?
- People of openSUSE: Timo Hönig
- Linux.com Weekly Wire with Lisa