- Latest Headlines
- Recent comments
- All-Time Popular Stories
- Hot Topics
- Latest Members
|Story||Linux On Macs||Rianne Schestowitz||12/02/2014 - 4:22am|
|Story||Debian init decision further isolates Ubuntu||Rianne Schestowitz||12/02/2014 - 3:12am|
|Story||GNOME’s Web Browser Introduces a New History Window||Rianne Schestowitz||12/02/2014 - 2:40am|
|Story||The legacy of Mandrake Linux: Rosa Linux||Rianne Schestowitz||12/02/2014 - 1:37am|
|Story||Top 10 legal issues for free software of 2013||Rianne Schestowitz||11/02/2014 - 10:02pm|
|Story||Early Benchmarks Of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS vs. 14.04 LTS||Rianne Schestowitz||11/02/2014 - 9:53pm|
|Story||Tomahawk 0.7 Released – A Ultimate Social Music Player for Linux||Rianne Schestowitz||11/02/2014 - 9:43pm|
|Story||Scientific analysis and visualization is better with open source||Rianne Schestowitz||11/02/2014 - 9:37pm|
|Story||SteamOS beta gets update||Rianne Schestowitz||11/02/2014 - 9:11pm|
|Story||Updated Debian 7: 7.4 released||Rianne Schestowitz||11/02/2014 - 9:05pm|
- Apple Denies Linux Access To Its Movie Trailers
- Why Google Docs will not work (Not yet at least)
- New Compiz Shatter Effect!
- Switching To Open Source Completely- One Step at a time
- Pity the Poor Classmate PC'd Children of Portugal
- Star Office by Sun Microsystems Part 1
- Stuff That Works With Linux #2 (Epson Stylus DX6000)
- Ubuntu 8.10 Turns To OpenJDK 6
- Ubuntu GNOME Applications
- KDE 3 to KDE 4 Migration Wizard
- According to Intuit, Linux is the Future
- All In One Pendrivelinux 2008
- Install Linux With Ease Using UNetbootin
- Gentoo on a 1&1 vServer
- Howto use Truecrypt and Evolution
- How to Optimize your Internet Connection using MTU and RWIN
- How to install & configure Xen Virtualization in openSUSE 11.0
- Insanely Securing Your Unix or Linux Systems
blogs.cdswebs: I’m glad that I found PCLOS, because it’s definitely been worth using to me. Both machines I have it on are set to dual boot either it or Windows, but I find myself booting to Windows less and less as PCLOS is just so much more efficient.
osweekly.com: Over the past few years, I have heard a lot of noise about how great it would be to see KDE coming to Windows world. Despite this happening on its own, it really means little with the exception of perhaps one application - amaroK.
practical-tech.com: Color me surprised. Dana Blankenhorn, a well-known writer about Linux and open source recently asked for someone—anyone–to send him a loaner Linux laptop to replace his now dead Windows laptop. What, he didn’t already have one?
- KDE 4 - Wow!
- KDE 4.1 with Kubuntu 8.04
- KDE dedicates 4.1 release to Uwe Thiem
blogs.pcworld: I've finally done it. I've managed to successfully install Ubuntu on a computer that runs at a decent speed. That said, I thought I'd give you my opinion of Ubuntu. Yes, I am a Linux guy, and I may always support Linux, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize it!
news.cnet.com: Intuit has been sniffing around open source for at least a year now, but it opened the door a bit more in April when it opened up QuickBase to developers, but now seems to be paving the way for a more complete launch into open source with its Linux Business Resource Center.
news.cnet.com: The former Delta Airlines chief operating officer, who took the reins of the most established open-source software company from Matthew Szulik in January, names cloud computing as a top priority. "The clouds will all run Linux," Whitehurst said in an interview.
tgdaily.com: It has been six weeks since Firefox 3 has been released and if we believe market share numbers provided by an ongoing survey of NetApplications, then it appears that Mozilla has had a successful launch with market share gains, especially at the expense of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.
Also: * Mozilla Fixes Awesomebar...In Next Firefox Version
* ogg support coming soon to mozilla
* Mozilla warns of low-risk DoS vulnerability in Firefox 3
Sven Vermeulen: With the summer at hand and my daughter on the way, I thought it would be a good idea to put the current work for this (end-user) document online. On my developer page you can find the current draft of Linux Sea, a book on Gentoo Linux.
- Roku's Netflix Player: a hands-on review
- HighPoint Technologies RocketRAID 3120
- Review: The Sandisk Sansa View
- India's '$10 laptop' too good to be true
- Eight Ways VARs Can Profit From Linux And Open Source
- Microsoft claims heart beats in open source
- Blizzard Asks Judge to Forbid Open Source
- The best place to host your open-source project
- Signature Devices Launches Open Source Game Engine
- Launchy Application Launcher Released for Linux
- GNOME Do vs Launchy
internetling.com: For those rare people who don’t know, Canonical’s Ubuntu distribution is basically Debian Sid (the unstable version) plus a few GUI apps and modifications. Debian is one of the most successful community-based distributions. Here are some reasons to choose Debian over Ubuntu:
- Lighttpd Drupal CMS Clean URL
- Connecting Ubuntu Linux to a Windows server
- Bridging VirtualBox 1.6.2 on Ubuntu 8.04.1
- 100 Vim commands every programmer should know
- hotplug - Dynamic Hardware Configuration
- Install KDE 4.1 in Ubuntu, and Make GTK Applications Look Good
- Reduce Disk Activity In Ubuntu
- Getting Atheros drivers working in OpenSUSE
- Get to know the Linux Logical Volume Manager
blogs.computerworld: No, I’m not talking about killing Vista. Microsoft is already burying that living dead operating system as fast it can. I’m talking about killing Windows itself. That’s the conclusion I’ve drawn from David Worthington’s story about Microsoft’s plans for Midori, a next generation operating system.
junauza.com: When it comes to picking the right e-mail client, Linux users have tons of choices. I have here a list of 8 of the best free and open source e-mail clients that are available for Linux.
linux.com: Solid state drives (SSD) have many advantages over traditional spinning-platter hard drives including no noise, low power and heat generation, good resistance to shock, and most importantly, extremely low seek times. To see just how much an SSD might improve performance, I used Bonnie++ to benchmark a contemporary SSD as it might be used in a laptop computer.
arstechnica.com: Mozilla took a big step towards Firefox 3.1 yesterday with the release of the first alpha. It includes important improvements to both the user interface and to Firefox's underlying Gecko rendering engine.
phoronix.com: Yesterday KDE 4.1 was released and there are widely known 2D performance problems with the GeForce 8 and 9 series, which are especially exhibited when using the K Desktop Environment. So you think NVIDIA would address this issue in their next driver update? Guess again.