- Latest Headlines
- Recent comments
- All-Time Popular Stories
- Hot Topics
- Latest Members
|Story||Top 20 open source gifts for the holidays||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 7:19pm|
|Story||How Munich rejected Steve Ballmer and kicked Microsoft out of the city||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 7:02pm|
|Story||Swiss Lausanne piloting open source desktops||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 6:11pm|
|Story||Prepare students for a rapidly changing world by teaching with open source||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 5:39pm|
|Story||Linux Mint falsely accused of being “insecure”||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 5:37pm|
|Story||Today in Techrights||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 11:19am|
|Story||Leftovers: OSS||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 10:59am|
|Story||Today's Howtos and Software||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 10:11am|
|Story||Leftovers: Gaming||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 10:05am|
|Story||TrueCrypt or false? Would-be open source project must clean up its act||Roy Schestowitz||19/11/2013 - 9:25am|
- How to disable vim syntax highlighting and coloring
- vim taglist plugin for developers
- Howto: graphical logout/shutdown/reboot in any Window Manager
- Synchronizing a BlackBerry in Linux
- Disable Ctrl+Alt+Backspace from Restarting X Windows on Linux
- One way to change path on Ubuntu
- Short Tip: Move an X window in Linux with the Alt key
- Welcome KDE apps back onto your GNOME desktop
- Changing the default 'generic' kernel to 'server' kernel
- Installation of Fedora 9 with Vista on Dell 1525
- A110 mini-laptop Debian installation HOWTO
- Tips and Tricks for Using Xen under Ubuntu or Debian
- Alternative Installation Methods for Hardy
- Virtualbox 1.6.0 with Ubuntu 8.04 2.6.24-17-generic kernel
- Howto Set Gnome Calendar First Day of Week in Ubuntu
- Changing default applications
linuxca.wordpres: It seems that PClinuxOS is getting slammed for the moderation by one or more mods. I feel that I need to put forth a view on this topic.
eweek.com: Look around your organization. What does your end-user desktop environment look like? Windows-based PCs? Docked laptops? Some combination thereof? Look around your organization five years from now, and the desktop landscape will appear very different.
commandline.org.uk: I recently looked at the forthcoming Epiphany browser based-on-Webkit. However, some people told me that Firefox has so many extensions that it would not be possible for a new browser to compete, even among the target audience of GNOME users. Is this true?
icculus.org: To celebrate the release of the Postal movie, Running With Scissors has released a free download version of Postal 2: Share the Pain. This is the complete multiplayer portion of the game, with the single player campaign removed.
wamukota.blogspot: Being involved in the PCLinuxOS.NL team, I was constantly focusing on KDE. I thought it was about time to get to know a distro running GNOME, so last month I tried HH. The number one distro of the planet simply couldn't get my Wifi (Broadcom 4312) up and running out of the box. Next I tried Fedora 9 and once again it was no-joy with the Wifi.
mindrobber.blogspot: A couple of weeks ago I decided that the release of Ubuntu 8.04 was as good a reason as any to finally take the plunge into the world of open source software properly.
groklaw: ComputerWorld Denmark is reporting that a strong letter of protest has been sent to ISO from Open Source Leverandørforeningen in Denmark (OSL).
polishlinux.org: Lately I have described ok_defrag — a simple tool for defragmenting Linux file systems. Today, I want to describe a specialized program designed to defrag the new Ext4 file system.
vivapinkfloyd.blogspot: Here are the top 10 reasons for which I enjoy using Debian:
3. Releases are Rock stable
matt asay: Perhaps the biggest news in Gartner's latest "Top 10 Technologies" report is the absence of open source. Or perhaps its omnipresence. The report offers essentially the same technologies as last year's list, with some curious additions:
blogs.zdnet.com: The struggle to build open source communities is, I’m convinced, one of the biggest stories of 2008. The trend began two years ago when major projects broke away from Sourceforge and began launching their own forge sites. This began an arms race.
ec.europa.eu: The department at the French Ministry of Education that is handling purchasing of software and software licenses is increasing its Open Source offerings to some 1.5 million teachers and education workers in 250 institutes France.
junauza.com: If you ask me who's the proudest hacker in the world, I would say that it's Eric S. Raymond. ESR, as he is often called, is a computer programmer and open source software evangelist. He is also a well-known author and has been very influential in giving the term 'hacker' a positive image.
- Interviews: Four Open Source Questions for Microsoft
- If you're still using RHEL 5... or CentOS 5
- Global server revenue hits dotcom bubble levels
- KDE starts testing version 4.1
- The dark side of Ubuntu
- How Microsoft lost the office file format battle
- Why does Firefox use Sqlite?
- The day i lost my Gnome and got it back
mr-oss.com: Todays rant will be based upon my history with linux, why I prefer linux, and some Windows desktop administration. Although I am 90% linux/unix in every aspect of computing, every once in a great while I get drawn into a situation that allows me to spend a few hours in the shoes of the Windows desktop administrator. Here are a few thoughts regarding the administration of end user Windows desktops and why I prefer to run linux.
Rob Enderle: This week marks several important events. I have not seen this level of competition before and Microsoft has never appeared more exposed. In my lifetime I have never seen a major vendor allow the kind of attack-marketing Apple is using without challenge. And, coupled with initial problems with Windows Vista, Microsoft suddenly looks like they are in a fight for the desktop the likes of which they – and we – have never seen.
- Remove the suspend/hibernate entries from the system menu in the Gnome
- esearch - Gentoo fun
- Change Firefox 3's URL bar behavior
- Profiling entire system activity with sysprof
- Wiping your disk drive clean
- Fedora 9 Installation Guide
- Listadmin - Command line tool to manipulate the queues of messages
- Living with eee: tips and tricks
- Making openSUSE 11.0 LiveUSB : The Easiest (and Fastest) Way
- Ebuild Protip: Only fetch from SRC_URI
- Mklivecd on Pclinuxos
kerneltrap.org: "In the early days, the project was conceived as a way of getting fresh blood into kernel development by giving them fairly simple but generally useful tasks and hoping they'd move more into the mainstream, "if we wind forwards to 2008, there's considerable and rising friction being generated by janitorial patches."
opensuse.org: ‘People of openSUSE’ caught up the man behind the great effort done on the German openSUSE wiki - Matthias Fehring. He is one of the system operatores of the de.opensuse.org wiki and long time openSUSE user.