When they said "Blizzard," they weren't kiddin. It was merely a week ago when Beta 3  was released and today Beta 4 hit the mirrors. Actually I wasn't really expecting a beta 4, but since it's available, let's take a look. Most, I'd dare say almost all, the improvements and changes took place under the hood this time. However the OpenSuSe developers weren't letting any moss grow on them. There was quite a bit of work happening this week as evidenced by the extensive Changelog.
I didn't spot any new eyecandy other than a new OpenOffice.org and Gnome start up splash. These, which are practically identical, now match the SuSE Linux default wallpaper.
The "opening of 15 file managers when starting gnome" is gone (I reckon), however gnome has other problems. While KDE is slicker than crisco, seems OpenSuSe folks are having a rough time exterminating all the bugs infesting gnome. Upon login, there is now a Settings Daemon starting error that prevents the desktop from completely starting up. The first start of gnome netted this screenshot, and the preceding startups didn't even load the wallpaper. This might start discouraging gnome fans, but there is still plenty of development time left before final release. So let's don't condemn them yet.
I've trimmed down the Changelog again to contain just the relevant information since the Beta 3 release and some of the highlights include:
- updated ooo-build to version 126.96.36.199:
* VBA crash with resize property
* set file type by extension in GTK+
* avoid some heinous GTK+ brokenness
* updated branding for 10.0
* add simple utility ooconfig to easy change some setting
- fix arts when using $TMPDIR
- /usr/libexec is not allowed by FHS, use proper path.
- Update to version 0.0.13.2
- Fix races when moving files
- Fix building of indexes to occur at sane times
- Set user to beagleindex instead of nobody in beagle-index
- rpm/kernel-source.spec.in: Set ARCH correctly for um and xen.
- rpm/kernel-binary.spec.in: Make sure CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is not
set in the config files
- Update xen config file.
- Update kdb patches.
- update to 2.6.13
- Update to current CVS to fix GCC bug
- Enable java on hppa
- Fix handling of PID file in nscd init script, remove dead
code (-S option is no longer supported by nscd)
- Obsolete hotplugctl
- updated to current release 0.5.4
- removed upstream gone patches
* remove dependency to xmms-lib
* fixing the screensaver picking
* work around the xterm sizing bug again as we did on 9.2
* a 16x16 icon upscalled is really ugly. Now we reuse another
icon, which is only half as ugly
* add suse rss feeds to knewsticker
- Many many bug fixes and some version updates
- Full Changelog since Beta 3 
Some package highlights include:
- kernel-default & source-2.6.13-3
- Full RPMlist as tested 
No new screenshots were taken this release other than what you see here as there's not too much different to see. Those Beta 3 screenshots are HERE . If you need to catch up, you can find my earlier reports here:
Beta 3 
Beta 2 
Beta 1 
Please stay tuned to Tuxmachines for continuing coverage of the OpenSuSE SuSE Linux 10.0 development cycle.