Entrepreneur Dee Dee Positt thought she had it made. Her small business was booming, profits were up, and a recent investment in a state senator had just paid huge dividends with the passage of a new law in her favor.
That, however, was Thursday. On Friday, disaster struck. One of the IT guys accidentally discovered that the company's phone system, purchased second-hand a few months before, was running on a SCO Unix server. In other words, the business was sitting on a toxic waste dump.
"We had no idea," the IT manager said. "It looked like a harmless rack-mounted server, the same as any other. We plugged it in, and it worked. But somehow we missed the little sticker on the bottom that mentioned something about UnixWare. Because of that oversight, we allowed an insidious disease to gain a foothold in our server room that could have decimated the financial health of our company."
The desperate situation required desperate action. "I had no choice... I had to evacuate the building and shut down all operations," Positt said.
Full Article .