This tutorial shows how you can set up an Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) desktop that is a full-fledged replacement for a Windows desktop, i.e. that has all the software that people need to do the things they do on their Windows desktops. The advantages are clear: you get a secure system without DRM restrictions that works even on old hardware, and the best thing is: all software comes free of charge.
omgubuntu.co.uk: Canonical are currently the only Linux company to license H.264/AVC, the patented non-free technology used to compress video and favoured by companies such as Apple & Microsoft for HTML5 Video.
manilastandardtoday.com: MUCH as it pains me to say this, installing Ubuntu 10.4 on my desktop PC was a nightmare.
blog.martin-graesslin.com: So finally I know who had the idea of client side decorations: it’s Canonical. Why didn’t I think of it before? I have been aware of the fact that GTK wants to do client-side window decorations since it was mentioned on the EWMH mailinglist and I think it is a completely stupid idea which has the potential to destroy one of the most important advantages of the free desktop:
- Comparing Maemo & Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx
- Ubuntu Reviewed: Hands on With Lucid Lynx
- Kubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
- 10.04 Workarounds
- Workarounds for Unrecognized Clicks in Flash Player
- Known Lucid Lynx issues/bugs with workarounds : UF post
- Nice themes for ubuntu 10.04
phoronix.com: While Linux has long been talked about as being a faster operating system than Microsoft Windows, in 2010 is this still the case?
markshuttleworth.com: Why limit indicators to the panel? Let’s make it possible for applications to use indicators themselves, for all the things that indicators are good at:
- 6 Things I like about Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- It’s the fat that makes you look fat
- Unscrewing Your Failed Ubuntu 10.04 Upgrade
everydaylht.com: Yet again, with Lucid Lynx, Ubuntu has shunned a much better technology for no good reason other than what appears to be NIH syndrome. Now PiTiVi has been around for a long time, but has progressed very little.
- Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #191
- Ubuntu 10.04 is Awesome
- Packages I install after a fresh load of Kubuntu 10.04
- Tracking The Performance Of Ubuntu 10.10
- Empathy as Ubuntu's IRC client