Welcome to this year's 39th issue of DistroWatch Weekly! This week we talk about some companies who are investing positively in open source in the hope of reaping the rewards. These companies include Valve, a company working on a Linux-based gaming console; NVIDIA, a popular video card manufacturer and Red Hat, a leading developer of enterprise software and sponsor of the Fedora Project.
- Is Slackware, The Oldest Remaining Linux Distribution, Right For You?
- Debian Edu / Skolelinux Wheezy — a solution for your school
- Torvald’s Diplomacy, Elop’s Riches & More…
- Fedora Linux 20 Gears Up to Be a Big Data Server
- Partitioning Tool Parted Magic 2013.09.29 Works with UEFI Secure Boot
- Red Hat Doesn't See SUSE Linux as a Major Competitive Threat
linuxbsdos.com: Sometimes I come across a distribution that looks interesting and I want to see how good it is and whether it brings anything new to the table. That’s why I decided to take a quick look at Semplice, a desktop distribution based on the unstable branch of Debian.
netrunner-mag.com: We have all been there. Our first attempt at Linux. I would like to create a short hitchhiker’s guide to Linux for the newbies and converts, so they will know what awaits them if they ever stumble upon the yellow geek road.
- 'Free Unix!': The world-changing proclamation made 30 years ago today
- 30 Years Ago: Intel 386, 486 Chips Set the Stage for Windows Dominance
- What 30 Years of GNU Means to You
- Open Source News this Week
computerweekly.com: The secret to Linux is hardware, really? Well you might think that this is so if you look at Who writes Linux, anyway?
- Red Hat’s Sell Rating Reaffirmed at JPMorgan
- Red Hat PT Raised to $61.00 at Credit Agricole
- What’s happening with Red Hat?
- How to install GNOME 3.10 in Ubuntu 13.10
- Patrick d'Emmabuntüs: Emmabuntüs is more than a Linux distribution
- LinuxCon Luncheon Connects Women in Technology
- Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
- openSUSE Beta Pizza Hackaton Starting Friday!
- Guns of Icarus Online Announces Price Drop and Updates
- Underestimated or underused: Portage (e)logging
- Communication around Frameworks 5
- Citrix's Mark Hinkle: Users Will Drive Innovation in Linux, Tech
- What is Linux Live CD and Why You Should Use One
- Ken Levine: SteamOS is “a brave and powerful idea”
- The Dukepad is the Raspberry Pi based Linux tablet you build yourself
- Goodbye Steam Boxes, hello Steam Machines
- Linux scholar skips California opportunity
- Linux advocate contemplates the purchase of a Mac
- Who rooted kernel.org servers two years ago, how did it happen, and why?
- Top 5 Video Editors for Ubuntu/Linux
- Ubuntu Touch Music App is Quite a Performer Already [Video]
- Linux Training Scholarship Winners Represent New Generation of Talent
- AlienVault's Barmak Meftah: Time to Put Hackers on the Defensive
- ZevenOS's Neptune Distro: Linux the Way You Want It
- Fedora's 10 Years, Joerg has the Pictures
- The pros and cons of SteamOS
- ‘Jazzpunk’ now available for pre-order, coming to PC/Mac/Linux January 2014
- Introduction To Gentoo Linux
- Who owns an open source brand—the company or the community?
- Red Hat: Stock Sells Off As The Company Is No Longer Red Hot
- LMDE Update Pack 7
- Nvidia pledge to help Linux’s open source driver community
- Mozilla: plugins are now a legacy technology
- The Raven – Legacy Of A Master Thief Releases Third Chapter 'A Murder of Ravens'
- Here’s how SteamOS destroys Microsoft