zdnet.com: Linux is tiny on desktops, powerful on servers, mighty on Web servers, and rules over all on supercomputers.
This week in DistroWatch Weekly:
- Reviews: Fedora turns sweet 16
- News: Interview with Fedora's Jarred Smith, openSUSE 12.1 feature round-up, Unity frustrations and Mint's rise, FreeBSD and Solaris as alternatives to Linux
- Questions and answers: Converting audio formats
- Released last week: Fedora 16, Oracle Solaris 11
- Upcoming releases: openSUSE 12.1, Caixa Mágica 17
- New additions: Commodore OS Vision, Pear OS
- New distributions: Kuine Linux, OpenMediaVault
- Reader comments
Read more in this week's issue of DistroWatch Weekly....
linuxinsider.com (blog safari): If a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, as Mary Poppins once sagely said, will a splash of Mint help users swallow GNOME 3?
computerworld.com: Linux had a big birthday recently -- its 20th -- but the event may have been a tad bittersweet for its most devoted fans. According to recent results of the annual application development survey from Santa Cruz, Calif.-based researcher Evans Data Corp. , Linux has slipped to third place in popularity, behind Mac OS and, of course, Windows.
mylinuxrig.com: Fabio Erculiani is the man behind Sabayon Linux, a fantastic, rolling distribution based upon Gentoo (but much easier to manage). Fabio does a lot of different things on Sabayon, from the desktop to the server level. You have to appreciate a person that eats his own cooking.
eyeonlinux.com: The first release candidate for Linux Mint 12 is out now, and I couldn’t resist doing a sneak peek of it. I’ll do a full review on DLR when the final release comes out.
zdnet.co.uk: When I first saw this Aspire One advertised for 230 Swiss Francs (about £160), I thought it must have been some kind of mistake. I went and looked at it in the shop, and I still thought it was a mistake - it looked like a pretty nice little netbook for such a low price.
h-online.com: Parted Magic lead developer Patrick J. Verner has announced the release of version 11.11.11 of his open source, multi-platform partitioning tool.
linuxbsdos.com: Chakra Edn 2011.11 is the second maintenance release of the relatively new desktop Linux distribution with some ties to Arch Linux. The first review of Chakra on this website was of Chakra Aida 2011.04.
- Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” RC released
- Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) RC Out Today
- First Look: Linux Mint 12
- Linux Mint 12 RC Lisa Released | What's New?