h-online.com: What does it take to open up a proprietary application and make it a successful open source project? To answer this, Glyn Moody takes a look at some prominent successes and failures and identifies the best practices.
wired.com: The meeting took place a week before Bill Gates retired from Microsoft, and the topic was open source software. It was the summer of 2008, and for years, the open source community had viewed Microsoft as public enemy number one.
deccanherald.com: A two-day conference of open source developers was organised by Red Hat in City. It was attended by around 800 developers.
- Stallman's Law
- Free open source application developed for study of fluid dynamics
- Work-for-Hire in an Open Source Enabled World
- How Open Source Licenses Affect Your Business and Developers
- Will Google break or save the Internet?
- Google finally admits it wants to OWN YOU
- Vote for the 2011 People's Choice Award
- Battle for Open Source Versus Commercial Software
- Open Source Scanning: A Technical Perspective
- Why government needs open source
thestarpress.com: You just bought a new computer. It's full of promise and has that "new computer" smell. You can't wait to get started. But, of course, there's no software on it, and you're accustomed to taking that for granted.
makeuseof.com: There are quite a few people who have realised that smartphones, tablets and e-book readers are a great way to store and read technical manuals. Today we’ve decided to showcase a few of the best O’Reilly ebooks you can pick up for free.
pcpro.co.uk: Nicole Kobie reveals how software such as Ubuntu, LibreOffice and Firefox is made - and how you can get involved
pcworld.com: With so many open source software projects under way at any given moment, it can be difficult to keep tabs on all that's going on.
openlogic.com: Open source benefits to businesses are pretty obvious, even if only recently recognized. It costs less, and often works better, than its commercial competitors. Developers have long preferred open source products to their commercial counterparts.