computerworld.com.au: Flinders University will migrate its 16,000 students over to Microsoft’s Live@edu email platform from mid-2010 after dropping an in-house open source solution.
informationweek.com/blog: Last week brought news about Microsoft inadvertently using open source code in one of their binary-only tools -- code that had to be redistributed with the tool itself. When this does happen, what's the best way to bring such a mistake to an offending company's attention? Is shouting about it far and wide always wise?
raiden.net: Out of the many analogies I have used over the years, the Ford vs BK one is likely the best I have ever encountered. But what is the Ford vs BK analogy and how does it help me promote FOSS?
- Open Source Software Ready for Big Business
- Copyright/left at the centre of open source business strategies
- Are enterprises saving $26 million per project with open source?
- Top Open Source technical writers on the Web
- Is Europe's love of open source Microsoft's best friend?
- Creative Commons: Best practices for webmasters
- Schmidt: Proprietary code is more securely written
openbytes.wordpress: I am looking at a claim thats usually made against many outspoken people in the FOSS, but often you see it when there is no counter in an debate/argument. When I first started writing this article little did I know I would get my own example of “killing the FOSS” directed at me.
- Open Source and Cost of Use
- "Intellectual Property" a Violation of Real Property
- Project management lessons from the FreeDOS Project
- The State of Open Source on Firefox's Fifth Birthday
- SourceForge, Inc. Changes its Name to Geeknet, Inc.
- Sun/Oracle deal fail shows EU doesn't get open source
earthweb.com: The Free Software Foundation is having a video contest on the subject "Why is free software important to you?" It's a timely topic, with Windows 7 just out and with the free software community's bickering so bitter as of late that common goals sometimes seem in danger of being forgotten.
- Microsoft pulls download tool over GPL violation accusation
- SFLC tech director finds one new GPL violator every day
- German government wants open standards and open source
- People Power Revs Up Wireless Energy Management With Open Source
- ODF Plugfest: Open Standards and Interoperability
- Why I hate proprietary software
- How Day Software stumbled upon an open source business strategy
- Let's Act on ACTA Before it's Too Late
toolbox.com/blogs: The biggest difference between open source software and proprietary software, apart from being able to see the code, are the licenses governing their usage.