www.hexus.net: Once upon a time, people lived in caves and hunted animals with spears. Then, they recorded things from the TV onto small black cartridges filled with magnetic tape. As is tradition these days, as soon as people develop an interesting hardware device, people start work on a software-based solution to accomplish similar features on more conventional hardware - in this case, the VDR project began in February 2000 as an attempt to bring DVR functionality to a conventional GNU/Linux PC.
This article explains how to improve/optimize/speed up package installation with Yum, install packages with Yum Extender (a GUI for Yum with extensive features to manage packages), and manage different external package repositories - with focus on prevention of problems with different repositories - on Fedora 7.
- All your apt cache belongs to us!
- Setting time the right way, the Linux way
- Different Ways of Taking Screenshots in Nokia N800
- How to Trigger Xchat from Firefox
- Saving Bandwidth With Apt-Cacher : Revisited
- Restart Apache Server without affecting existing connections
cybernet: Opera is an extremely customizable browser, but it does so much that it can be difficult to remember it all. Then again you would have to know what it does in order to remember it. Today we want to walk you through a dozen tips and tricks that will inch you closer to becoming an Opera grand master.
Rudd-O: Desktop performance on Linux computers has been a hot-button issue of late, and a source of longstanding fights among the Linux developers. Today, I want to show you how I boosted (and you can boost) desktop performance dramatically.
- How to open files as root via a right click
- How To Boot Mandriva on a USB Disk
- Sha-1 Checksum
- Access Google Calendar From Linux / UNIX / Mac OS X Command Line Interface
- Backing up and restoring your DSL configuration
- Howto Install Freecom Musicpal in Ubuntu Feisty
- How To Install VMware Tools on Ubuntu Guests
- Howto Fix RSSOwl Internal Browser
This document explains how to set up the VMware Tools in the following guest operating systems: Ubuntu 7.04, Fedora 7, PCLinuxOS 2007 and Debian Etch. Installing VMware Tools in your guest operating systems will help maximize performance, provide mouse synchronization and copy & paste functionality.
blogs.techrepublic.com: Recently, the open source FileZilla FTP client became available for Mac OS X and Linux. Using the wxWidgets cross-platform user interface, FileZilla now can be used with a consistent look-and-feel on multiple operating systems.
Powertop is a command-line tool released by Intel that shows you the power consumption of the applications running on your system. It works best on notebooks with Intel mobile processors and can help you find out the programs that put a strain on your notebook battery.
- PyMOTW: copy
- HeX: Full Screen Terminal
- Howto make Ubuntu to read feeds for you
- Fixing the Ubuntu Gutsy boot splash issue