polishlinux: Many of you, Linux users, have Windows installed on your PCs for only one reason: it’s a game or a program, written only for the Redmond’s system. In the last few months true alternatives have appeared: Cedega and CrossOverOffice.
- Zimbra or Google Calendar with Thunderbird and Lightning
- Implementing quotas to restrict disk space usage
- Transparent Terminal Windows
- Increase the maximum number of pseudo - terminals ~ PTY on Linux for remote Login session
- Installing Ubuntu From A Windows System With Wubi
- Setup CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) Server and Client in Debian
- Reclaim Memory under Xen
- NMap - Linux port scanning
- Check Disk Space with the Commands du and df
- OOo: Getting a Picture from a Document Into the Gallery
- Locate files with the find tool
- Analyze Network Protocols With Wireshark on Ubuntu
- Quick tip - recover a failed download using Wget
linux.com: If you have a point-and-click digital camera made by Canon, you may be able to turn on all sorts of features usually reserved for more expensive SLRs. That includes live histograms, depth-of-field calculation, under and overexposure highlighting, and -- best of all -- shooting your pictures in RAW. The secret is CHDK, an enhanced, free software replacement firmware.
ZoneMinder is the top Linux video camera security and surveillance solution. In this document I will cover how to get ZoneMinder up and running on Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS or Dapper Drake with the recent updates included.
FOSSwire: PHP is an interpreted language. That unfortunately means that every time a client requests a PHP page from your site, the PHP interpreter has to re-read the script and compile it on the fly before it is run. It can be beneficial to use a PHP caching system to shave some time off the pageload.
howto geek: I'm the type of geek that always has an open ssh session connected to my servers, but ever since I switched to using a Mac running OS X, I noticed a huge annoyance in my terminal… the syntax highlighting makes it impossible to read the files I'm trying to edit.
- How to Find Commands in Your Bash History
- Installing MPlayer on openSUSE 10.1
- Google Calendar & Gnome
- removing garbage characters from screen terminal
iTWire: An intrusion detection system – or IDS – is a high-tech burglar alarm, keeping a watchful eye on your computer and alerting when computer or network activity indicates unauthorised or malicious activity. An IDS is a must-have app, and Snort is rapidly becoming the tool of choice.
the inquirer: UNLESS YOU'VE GOT a couple of mirrored hard drives to ensure that a disk failure won't send all of your precious data to that great bit-bucket in the sky, you need to backup your data.